9/21/2006

Daddy

The other day, during our Monday night prayer service, a good friend of mine prayed with me. In his prayer, he said something along the lines of, "Lord, show Tony that you are still his Daddy." As soon as he said this, an image popped into my mind.

When I moved to California, to follow God's call on my life, I found myself standing in the backyard (if you call it that...in CA, they don't have backyards, only strips of grass between your house and the house behind yours), saying goodbye to my parents. As I hugged my father, he began to cry, which I think I had only seen him do on three or four occasions. His words to me were, "I'm going to miss you Bozo."

Ok...let me explain. When I was little, my dad always called me Bozo. It was my nickname...probably because I was a little dorky goober.

As we grow up, our relationships with our fathers change. We mature, an naturally, our relationships mature as well. I was making a huge leap of faith in my life. My life was changing drastically. I thought I was all alone. But, as my father hugged me, he reminded me...my father is still my daddy. That will never change.

No matter how old I get or how far away from him I am...he is still my daddy and I am still his little bozo. I should not have to explain how this relationship is like our relationship with God. God is our Daddy. He always will be, no matter how far from home we go.

God is our Daddy! It is so great to say! When I am in pain and hurting...He is my Daddy. When I am alone and scared...He is my Daddy. When I need a refuge for safety...He is my Daddy. So, it is with pride that I say...My Daddy loves me...and I love my Daddy!

No comments:

Lou Piniella's Daily Affirmations