9/25/2006

Plea for blessings

Of late...my wife and I have been seeking a blessing. The very concept of seeking a blessing is quite interesting. As we read Scripture we see numerous blessings. Whether it is a child given to Abraham, seeing your brother raised from the dead, or being one of the 5,ooo people that Jesus feed, people experienced huge blessings in their lives.

We also see blessings in the lives of people around us. People seem happy...in fact some people seem to recieve that blessing that we so earnestly seek. As we sit in the midst of others recieving that blessing...it becomes difficult. Why does God not give us this blessing?

Sure, we understand that God has a plan for our lives and maybe...just maybe...that blessing is not in God's plans right now. Some would say that we should only seek God's will and not seek particular blessings. I disagree...strongly disagree.

This is how I see it. No matter what I pray and what I ask God for, my desire for this blessing is strong. It is there...and God knows this. It is a prayer written on my heart and God has read and continues to read my heart, so when the prayer leaves my lips...it is no surprise to God. The key here is that blessings, I believe, are a means of grace. To experience blessings in your life is to experience God. To seek blessings is to seek God.

We know that ultimately God's plan for us is best regardless of what that is. But, we want to experience God in one way in particular. Asking for this is not wrong...in fact...it is right. To seek God for this is to acknowledge before the blessing is ever recieved that the source of the blessing, and all blessings, is God.

So, we pray, we ask, and we seek. In the end...in some way...we will experience God.

No comments:

Lou Piniella's Daily Affirmations