1/27/2007

Fairweather?

Many of you know...I hate the Colts. I have a large number of reasons...but all you need to know at this time is that I do not like them...at all...not even a little bit. As the Dolts (not a typo) enter into the Super Bowl, I find myself in many arguments, most in passing to and from class, with various individuals about their beloved Dolts. They go on about how great their players are and how great their record is.

Here is the interesting thing. I have been a Dolphins fan since I was 5 years old. I have hated the Dolts pretty much just as long. I remember many games I attended in Indianapolis that had more Dolphins fans than Dolts fans. Keep in mind it was a Dolts home game. However, now that the Dolts can win some games...fans come out of the woodwork. They claim that they have always been a Dolts fan...they buy the jerseys...they buy memorabilia...yadda...yadda...yadda. But...in reality, they are merely fairweather fans. Fans who only accept a team when they do well. Fans who bail on their team when the going gets tough. Indianapolis is notorious for fans like this. Are you one? We will see when they begin to stink again like they have in the past. (By the way...Indianapolis Dolts cannot claim the history of the Baltimore Colts. Baltimore does not claim you...so don't claim their history. You never had Unitas...so stop claiming him.)

I am proud to be a Dolphins fan. That will never change...even when they go 6-10. That is what being a fan is all about. Anyone can cheer for a team when they do well. It takes a true fan to support a team when they struggle. Our faith is much the same way.

Anyone can claim Jesus to be Lord and Savior when things are going well. But the true test is when things go wrong. Who is your Lord then? Do we claim Christ when it benefits us the most and shove him aside when it serves us better to do so? The question we must ask of ourselves is: Are we fairweather Christians?

This is an important question that we must all search for the answer to. Being a Christian means standing up and claiming Christ no matter what the outlook is like, no matter how bad things are, and no matter who is winning the game.

My biggest pet-peeve is a fairweather fan. The worst are those who are fairweather fans and ridicule me for being a Dolphins fan and standing firm on my convictions. I believe that those fans do a severe injustice to dedicated fans. What sort of injustice are we doing to the Christian faith if we are merely fairweather Christians? Let us all stand firm on our convictions...and claim Christ!

Go Fins!!! Down with the Dolts! (I had to get one more shot in)

3 comments:

Tony Johnson said...

Sure. I usually do not do such crazy things like associate with anyone who has any liking toward the Dolts...but I will make an exception for you.

I obviously am kidding there since my brother has been misled and has become a Dolts fan and I still like him.

Anyway...since you admit your reasoning and still affirm that you do not like them...you are still a friend.

It is funny though that a player would have not liked a team if it wasn't for that darn paycheck.

Ben said...

I'm with Josh. I think that one can be a fan of a player and not a team. For example in baseball I do not like the Cardinals, but my cousin was unfortunate enough to go pro with the Cards and go to the world series and thus I was forced to root for them to win.

Now to be sure I think this can be limited. I loathe the yankees more than any thing and I think that if my cousin played for them I would still root against him in all forms.

So yes I agree with Josh that you can cheer for players despite not liking the teams, but it is most asuredly limited by one's hatred for the team. Just as one can loathe certain players and like teams. For example if Peyton Manning somehow was traded to the Vikings, I would love to see the Vikings win but I would still want to see Peyton Mannings legs get crumbled under a defensive lineman's massive body.

Does that make sense??

Go Bears (until next season)!

Oh yeah... and to touch on the other part of your post... GO Jesus!!

Tony Johnson said...

I understand completely. The Dolts are my Yankees. So...I don't care who is playing for them.

I used to like Adam Vinatieri until he put on the most boring and drab uniform in the NFL.

Oh well. Go Bears! Go Jesus!!!!

See how I yelled go Jesus louder? My priorities are still in place. Heehee.

Lou Piniella's Daily Affirmations