4/07/2007

No Easter?

As I sat in a relatives home here in California, I watched the local Los Angeles newscast about a school's new policy in regards to Easter. Their policy: No Easter baskets or Easter celebrations were allowed.

The reason that they gave for such a rule is that they do not want to show preference or a bias toward any one religion. Therefore, they will not celebrate any holidays that are based in religious tradition. How stupid is this? I guess I can understand...from their point of view...what they are trying to do. But...from a Chrisitian point of view...this is not a good thing.

This story got me thinking though. The kids probably just think that Easter is about a large bunny who brings candy and possibly a gift or two. A distant second to Santa Clause I might add. I mean come on...Santa is much cooler and more popular.

If the kids do not think of Easter as a religious holiday, then why punish them by not allowing them to celebrate Easter. After thinking even more...I began to think...maybe this is a good thing. Maybe, if the kids are forced to take their decorations down and take their Easter baskets home...maybe they will ask their parents why. And maybe...just maybe...some of these kids will hear for the first time what Easter is all about. No longer will Easter be about a bunny with candy but rather Easter will be about the resurrection of Christ. Wouldn't that be a welcomed addition to a young childs pool of images?

Besides...is it the school's responsibility to ensure that kids celebrate holidays? Or, is it their responsibility to ensure that the kids learn? Just so you know...I am not on the school's side here. I guess I am just an eternal optimist...hoping that through this the kids will grow closer to the Truth of Easter.

2 comments:

Ben said...

Although it sounds crappy I'm not opposed to this at all. I just try to place myself in the position of the minority. What if our society was a muslim society, would I want my kids celebrating ramadan in school? Or what if we were a Jewish culture, would I want my kids celebrating passover? Obviously not. So I can see the school's motive.

On the same thought though I realize that what most Christians celebrate as Easter has nothing to do with Easter and it is just as much a pagan holiday in the Church as it is in society. I mean U2 Easter? Give me a freakin break.

Tony Johnson said...

Although I doubt very much that you are trying to be sensitive to the feelings of all religions and trying to make them feel comfortable...it sounds as though there is some pluralism in your comment.

I agree with you about Easter not being what it is supposed to be. However, we are talking about Truth. A Truth that all people need to be exposed to. Regardless as to whether or not you are Muslim, Buddhist, or whatever...you need Jesus...the resurrected Jesus. And Easter is the celebration of the resurrected Lord.

So...as Christians...do we have some sort of duty to be upset when the Truth is removed from schools?

Lou Piniella's Daily Affirmations