4/17/2007

Poetry

I often argue with my good friend Anna Flemming (I hope you don't mind my mentioning your name Anna) about art. I personally do not get it. Basically, what I have learned is that art is completely subjective. Anything can be art and it can mean whatever you want it to. Extreme postmodernism?

Anyway...within our discussions we often talk about poetry...which I really do not get. So, I came across this Sherman's Lagoon comic (Best comic strip ever!) which, in reality, summarizes our disagreements.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Ha. I bet some people would disagree and say that art can't just be anything, for example Linda Stratford would probably tear me up. But then again, each kind of art is usually judged according to its own categories, like impressionist art, albeit often superimposed upon artists after the fact (but I am supposing some artists are concious of being part of a certain genre).

Another fun assertion to try to defend: everyone is an artist.

Lou Piniella's Daily Affirmations